Francesco Bussu, MD, PhD, specialized in otolaryngology, born on April 4th 1974 in Cagliari (Sardinia, Italy).
Spoken languages: Italian (native), English (fluent), Russian (elementary).
Stages abroad and in Italy for clinical and research purposes
- European Institute of Oncology, Milan, 6 months in 2002: training in basic research on gene expression evaluated by RT-PCR in cancer cells;
- Beth Israel, New York, with dr Urken, 3 months in 2005: training in head and neck oncologic and reconstructive surgery;
- MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, with dr RS Weber, 3 months in 2005: training in multidisciplinary approach to head and neck malignancies;
- Caen University Hospital, with dr. D Labbè, 1 week in 2009: training in novel surgical techniques for rehabilitation of facial palsy;
- Luebeck University, Germany, with Dr G Kovacs, 1 week in 2010: training in brachytherapy of head and neck cancers;
- Severance Hospital Yonsei University, with Dr Se-Heon Kim, 1 week in 2012: training in head and neck robotic surgery.
At present Head of the ENT Division in Sassari University Hospital, and Assistant Professor in Otorhinolaryngology at Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome.
1993 – Honourable mention for the high school graduation;
1999 – Cash prize (about 5000 euros) best oncologic degree theses of the year;
1999 – ‘Award Agostino Gemelli 1999’, to the best Medical graduated of the year;
2013 – ‘Award Italo Serafini 2013’, by the Italian Society of Head and Neck Oncology (AIOCC) for the best free paper in the national congress.
Research, clinical and teaching activities
More than 60 papers, mostly in preminent positions, in indexed and impacted journals, mainly about head and neck surgery and oncology and in particular virus induced carcinogenesis, but also on rhinology, phoniatrics and general otolaryngology (IF according to JCR 2015 ed: 153.1; h-index: 17).
He serves as reviewer for several international impacted journals, such as Cancer Research, Carcinogenesis, Oncotarget, International Journal of Cancer, British Journal of Cancer, Cancer, Laryngoscope, Head and Neck, Acta Otolaryngologica Scandinavica, International Journal of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Acta Otolaryngologica Italica, PLOS One, Clinical Otolaryngology, JAMA Otolaryngology, Annals of Surgical Oncology.
Since 2014 he serves as Expert for the European Commission in the Horizon 2020 program and in the 3rd Health Program.
About 4000 surgical procedures as first operator in all the subspecialties of Otolaryngology and in particular head and neck oncology. He introduced in Italy the lengthening temporalis myoplasty (Labbè operation) for long term facial paralysis
rehabilitation. He performed more than 60 brachytherapy implants for head and nekc malignancies (the largest series in Italy). Expertise in Audiology, Vestibology, Phoniatrics.
He is the head teacher of Otolaryngology in the Sassari School of Medicine, and keeps appointments both in the School of Medicine and in the Schools of Speech Therapy of the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore.